Font Size

Appealing Your Assessment

If you feel that your property assessment is excessive and does not represent True and Full value, you may ask for relief.

You should contact your assessor immediately and ask that your assessment be reviewed.

If you and the assessor cannot agree on a proper assessment, then you may appeal in two different manners. If the current year valuation is at issue, then you may appeal by attending the various equalization meetings. In order to be heard before the State Board of Equalization, you must have appeared before the local and county boards of equalization.

You may also file an abatement on your property for current and previous years relief. You must file by November 1st of the year following the year the tax becomes delinquent. In other words, you must file by November 1st, 2009 to file for the 2007 assessment.

In either case, the burden of proof falls upon the applicant to show that the valuation is incorrect. Therefore, the applicant would need to present information showing that the assessment is not correct.

For additional information, you may visit the Office of State Tax Commissioner  to find the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. You can also download the abatement application form at this site. You can also contact our office for additional information.